Last year, I met an extremely gifted medium in California, Allie Barkalow. If you don’t know what a medium is, it’s a person that communicates with spirits from the other side. I heard about Allie from my dear friend Carolyn Miller, who is a psychic and known for her amazing tarot and aura photography readings. Carolyn told me that Allie is one of the best psychics she knows, and I figured if she’s anything like Carolyn I had to meet her.
I was immediately drawn to Allie with her bold and honest demeanor and witty sense of humor. She reminds me of a favorite aunt or wise-woman that calls the shots as she sees them with practical, straightforward advice. After the reading (which was astounding), we struck up a conversation and she shared some really useful information. She told me how to clear a house of negative energy using her sea salt smudge recipe and how she protects herself energetically during a psychic session. She told me why it’s important to sage your pillows every month since apparently, we dump a lot of psychic stuff into our beds when we sleep!
At the end of our talk, I mentioned the full moon coming up and how I could really use a simple ritual to do with some friends (it was right before the pandemic when we could still gather). Of course, she had one. In fact, she shared with me a tried & true ritual she’d been doing for over 40 years. I was giddy with excitement and needless to say my friends and I had an amazing little shindig that weekend under the full moon in my backyard with Aunt Allie’s recipe.
I’d like to share her full moon ritual with you here (Allie said it’s okay). This ritual is specifically for letting things go and I hope you tuck it away and enjoy it for many moons ahead.
I was reminded that not everyone knows about rituals, and how to do one. Rituals are an ancient way to honor the sacredness of high holy days, important moons, full and new, to clear and to invite.
The full moon is the time of ending and releasing. It is the perfect time to end cycles, release old patterns, habits, behaviors, and thought-forms. If you are working on your ascension such as trying to elevate your vibration, be a better person, etc. this is a fabulous opportunity to let go and use your consciousness to move forward, get lighter in
This ritual is a simple one, in accordance with the native way of honoring this sacred time. Feel free to use your own prayers, words, and/or name of God.
Full Moon Ritual
What you’ll need:
- Paper and pen for yourself and extras for friends if doing this as a group
- 1 tea light candle and a fireproof container such as a cast-iron skillet
- 4 extra tea light candles and 4 small bowls to place the candles in to make a sacred circle on the ground
- 1 stick of incense
- Cup of water
- Pinch of tobacco
- Handful of cornmeal
- Smudge stick such as sage, cedar, or palo santo
- Lighter or matches
- Compass to determine the directions
- Make a list of what you are ready to let go of in your life. This may be personally, professionally, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially, etc.
- Make sure you know when the exactitude of the full moon is. Go outside 1/2 hour before with everything on a tray. If you cannot go outside find a quiet place in your house where you will be undisturbed.
- Light the smudge stick and smudge yourself, fanning the smoke from the top of your body and going downwards, getting the back of your body and under your feet. If doing this in a group, have your friends do the same (this is important to do at the start of any ritual).
- Make a rough circle then place the 4 candles in the four bowls at the 4 points: north, south, east & west. Pour a tiny bit of water into the bottom of the bowls.
- Cast the circle by lighting each of the candles at the four cardinal points and invoke the angel/guardian of each direction. When done face west (the direction of endings).
- Ground yourself, bringing attention to what you are about to do. Invite your highest self, teachers, guides, and angels to witness.
- Smudge the 4 directions, starting first with the east. Next, smudge Mother Earth, and make a tobacco offering. Smudge to Father Sky / God / Goddess
- Turn to face west. Hold your hands up and face the palms out. Take a deep breath and say: “At this time of endings and completions, I now release <insert list.>”
- When you are finished with your list you might also include war, hunger, pollution, ignorance, poverty, lack, and loss, fear, etc. for yourself and the entire world.
- Make a cornmeal offering to the earth spirits and earth devas; Make
a wateroffering to the water spirits and devas; Light your incense and make it an offering to the air spirits and devas.
- Finally, light your tea light. If it blows out after you light it, just put it down. It has been accepted by the fire beings. If it stays lit, make sure it is in a container that will not tip over or start a fire.
- Ground yourself again. Make sure you have included every area and
every thingyou are ready, able, and willing to release from your life experience.
- Thank the angels, teachers, guides, devas, Mother Earth, and divine self for witnessing. Ask their help in releasing and clearing those vibrations from your life and your aura. Ask their assistance in keeping those things out and away from you re-taking them back.
- Bless yourself, Mother Earth, and your life. Release the circle by walking from the east counterclockwise one full circle and ending in the west.
Turn around, and do not look back. You can go out tomorrow to pick up the candle holders. Your magic is now set and working! Blessed Be! Love, Allie
About Allie Barkalow
Allie is a psychic, medium, empath, astrologer, hypnotherapist, and a channel for healing and the angels. She came into this life clairvoyant, clairaudient, and clairsentient and has spent her life learning from many teachers in a variety of traditions to understand her gifts to serve the highest good. To schedule a phone or in-person reading in Santa Rosa, California, please contact her at 707-888-8098 or by e-mail at email@example.com. For more information visit www.modernmystical.com and follow her on Facebook at @alliemodernmystic.